How to prepare fire pit for winter?
With the cooler temperatures coming on and for some, an end to backyard living, we should talk about winter maintenance of your fire features. So – How to prepare fire pit for winter? Winter for most of us in the US and Canada means harsh temperatures and much more time spent inside. It’s also time to maintain/winterize your outdoor fire feature. Let’s look at some quick basic maintenance tips to ensure proper operation of the fire feature in the spring:
Make sure to cover your firepit for the winter
- Turn off the gas line supply with a service valve or key valve. This will reduce the moisture that may get trapped in the line
- If your fire feature is electronic ignition turn off the circuit via the installed wall switch or circuit breaker
- Clean out any debris from the pan/burner assembly to ensure the pan weep holes are clear of debris and now would be a good time to clean any media that may have signs of soot or carbon build-up. Simply wash with warm soapy water, let dry, and reapply media in the pan. Clean the thermocouple and pilot assembly with a soft brush
- Now is the critical time for your cover. If you do not have a cover, it is important to consider covering the unit. Those that do have a hardcover may want to consider covering the unit, the cover and the enclosure with a vinyl cover to ensure no snow or moisture can sit on the unit for an extended period of time
- For those in mild winter temperatures, turn the fire feature on as often as possible
Fire pit maintenance
These winter maintenance of your fire features tips ensure your firepit will keep in good operating condition through the harsh winter months. It is important to know that by far the worst damage. That can be done to any unit is to have snow and water sitting on top of the unit for an extended period of time. So even if you don’t have time for the proper fire feature winter maintenance, it is critical to, at the very least, get the unit covered properly for the cold snowy winter months.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to anyone of our technicians or just call to us 1-604-332-4930