Fireplace Surround Installation
DreamCast Concrete Fireplace Surrounds are designed to be easily installed in just a few steps.
Scroll down to see an outline of a typical installation process and watch some installation videos.
A typical installation takes two people approximately four to six hours. Installation can be
performed by a range of people from carpenters, masons, tile setters, general contractors and
home owners with the proper tools and some DIY skills.
Please read through the installation guide completely before beginning your install.
Step 1: Preparation
Gather the following items for your installation:
- Measuring tape
- 4′-6′ Level
- Stud Finder
- Drill with Screw Attachment
- Large Caulking Gun (For Adhesive)
- Small Caulking Gun (For Caulking)
- 4″ – 4.5″ Angle Grinder with diamond blade (for cutting Hearth or In-fill Tiles)
- 2×4 Lumber (for mounting concrete pieces)
- Saw (for cutting mounting boards)
- Construction Screws
- 3/16″ Masonry drill bit
- Bucket of Clean Water, Sponge & Rags
- Floor Protection (if required)
- Concrete Surround pieces
- Concrete In-fill Panels (1″ matching material) (if specified)
- Concrete Hearth (if specified)
- Polyurethane adhesive
- Color matched caulking
- 3 oz bottle of concrete stain (for touch-ups, if needed)
- Shims for leveling
- Ensure the fireplace unit is installed level and flush with the wall.
- Check that the area to be covered by the surround is clear of obstructions that may need to be moved.
(Gas Valve, Power Outlets, Light Switch, etc)
- Lay down floor protection to protect floors from scratches and concrete from chipping.
Step 2: Hearth Installation
If using a Concrete Hearth, it should be installed first.
- Dry-fit the hearth pieces to ensure they fit as desired.
- Make any required cuts.
- Glue pieces to clean, dry floor.
- Allow glue to dry to prevent pieces moving during installation.
Step 3: Install Legs
- Once the hearth is set, dry-fit the legs and mark their position on the wall.
- Install mounting blocks to the wall.
- Glue the legs in place and screw them into the mounting blocks.
Step 4: Mantel Installation
- Dry-fit the mantel pieces and ensure they are level.
- Install the mantel mounting block to the wall.
- Glue the mantel pieces in place and screw them into the mounting blocks.
- Support the mantel until the glue has set.
Step 5: In-fill Panels
- Measure and cut in-fill panels to size using angle grinder.
- Glue panels in place around the fireplace.
- Support as required until glue has set.
Step 6: Finishing
- Use mineral spirits to remove any visible adhesive.
- Caulk all the joints using the provided colour-matched caulking.
- Fill screw holes in mantel with colour-matched caulking.
- Clean fireplace surround with water to remove any caulking residue or dirt.
- Touch up any scuffs or scratches with the included touch-up stain.
- Always read the manual for your fireplace before starting installation.
- Follow all required clearances for combustibles and ventilation.
- Follow any applicable local building codes regarding fireplace installations.
- Always use appropriate safety equipment when cutting, drilling and grinding.
- While lighter than comparable cast stone products, some DreamCast Concrete pieces can be heavy. We always recommend a 2 person install team.